TENANT   FORMS
Hancock Medical Center Rancho Springs Medical Plaza The Leamington  
 
 
The historic Leamington structure that once graced Oakland's skyline as a high class Hotel is transformed into prime, modern office spaces by Portfolio Property Investors in 1983.

...................................................................................................................................................................
Restoring a Tradition

With much fanfare, the luxurious Leamington Hotel in downtown Oakland first opened its doors to traveling executives in 1926. Declared “an architectural masterpiece,” the Spanish-style building’s architect, W.H. Weeks, spent over $2 million to incorporate “every modern idea in the hotel construction.” In those days, modern, ideas included a $30,000 pipe organ, a complete local information bureau for guest, and a fully-attended children’s playroom. Soon, the whole Hotel became a playroom for the socially prominent by hosting opulent gatherings for Oakland’s most wealthy citizens.

One of the “Grand Dames” of East Bay hospitality, the Hotel was fated to have several owners during its history. J. K. Leaming sold it four years after building it, and in 1945 it underwent a grand-scale remodeling, compliments of its new owners. Soon after, changing times and changing designs prodded the slow but eventual decline of this once-gleaming jewel. In 1981, the Leamington doors were closed, a result of neglect which caused its bankruptcy.

Fortunately, Oakland-based Portfolio Property Investors recognized that the Leamington legend should not be allowed to die. With help from the City of Oakland, PPI purchased the building restoring it and converting it into first-class retail and office suites. The transformation began in January 1983. The outside retained its terra cotta charm, but the interiors, incorporated the most modern ideas in design and construction. Below the new atrium and skylight now sparkle oak, marble, brass and bronze detailing.

Once a symbol of gracious hospitality and elegance, the revitalized Leamington opened its doors again. Portfolio Property Investors continually owned and operated The Leamington for 32 years until its sale in 2015.

Click here for images of The Leamington Building.



Copyright 2005-2016 Portfolio Property Investors. All Rights Reserved.
1814 Franklin Street Ste. 710 - Oakland, CA 94612
510-839-1744
BRE License ID# 00807178